1 (edited by Mosfet 2020-03-16 04:32:16)

Topic: Amazing experience for a NOOB in Linux email systems

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.1 MARIADB edition
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? downloadable installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:  Ubuntu 18
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MariaDb (MySQL)
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Out of curiosity during the COVID-19 isolation (not sic, just not going to work) i rented a VPS and searched for a few email solutions to test, having no experience with email systems on Linux.

Among the identified solution I chosed iRedMail as my first candidate and within 2 days (a few hours of real work) i got the following done :

• installation (very intuitive)

• configuration of first domain

• SSL using lets-encrypt cert-bot (went off instructions here by using certbot for configuration as well )

• SPF, DKIM and DMARC all working

• tested gmail -> domain and reverse without issues

• tested Thunderbird (after adding auto-config)

• created and tested alias and forwarder in DB

• modified nginx so it wont redirect all access to roundcube

• added second domain in iRedmail, creating user and testing with gmail

• added alias in domain2 and forward from alias to domain1 mailbox

• modified nginx to accommodate a second domain, but being able to access email server using domain2.tld/mail

At the moment the only thing I want to try is a catch-all account for yet another new domain big_smile
Honestly it's the first time when using opensource software that i joined the forums just out of curiosity and not for support

A few thing to keep in mind about my story :

• this is just a test not a real case use scenario so the number of users is extremely small and almost no traffic

• this ease of installation and config was so amazing that i'm thinking of trying in an offline environment ( after i get a ldap Linux server)

• although I don't have experience with Linux email or ldap systems I do have  10+ years of experience as a M$ sysadmin and a little comfort in using Linux (terminal)

Thanks for the experience.

L.E. Catch-all configuration went smooth like butter. Amazing work big_smile
Curious about the proadmin, pity there is no demo version (i've found a tweet that at some point there was a 10 user version, that would be amazing)

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Amazing experience for a NOOB in Linux email systems

Thanks for sharing. smile

Mosfet wrote:

Curious about the proadmin, pity there is no demo version (i've found a tweet that at some point there was a 10 user version, that would be amazing)

There's an online demo: https://www.iredmail.org/admin_demo.html