1 (edited by peterbata 2020-05-13 21:10:37)

Topic: Unable to receive Mail

- V.1.2.1
- Downloadable installer
- Ubuntu 18.04
- MySQL
- Nginx
- How do I generate an original log
- Error: Delivery Status Notification (Delay) The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7720 [mail.mydomain.com. 173.xxx.xxx.xxx: timed out]

I have been using iRedMail for the last year or so. Last week I switched ISP's. Went from DSL to Cable.
Since then I have not been able to receive a single email message. Sending is no problem. I relay through TurboSMTP as port 25 is blocked by most ISP's where I am located.

One of the first things that I did was to setup port forwarding on the new modem.

The next thing that I did was to setup a fresh install of iRedMail on another PC. Made sure to forward all relevant ports to that new server's IP address but got the same results. Send OK. Nothing being received from any domain (gmail, Outlook, etc.)

I did search the forum before posting this message. Thank you for your time and assistance.

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by MuPp3t33r 2020-05-13 21:32:37)

Re: Unable to receive Mail

You can't receive emails on your server if port 25 is blocked by your ISP, contact them to unblock it
Logs can be found at

/var/log/mail.log

MuPp3t33r wrote:

You can't receive emails on your server if port 25 is blocked by your ISP, contact them to unblock it
Logs can be found at

/var/log/mail.log

Thank you for the prompt reply. I was under the impression that IMAP port 143 (non-encrypted) was being used to receive  mail. What I find odd is that I am almost sure that Bell (who I was with prior) also blocks port 25 for all residential clients. If that is the case, how would I have been able to send / receive mail for over a year without issues.

Just got off the phone with my new cable ISP provider and they confirmed that port 25 is blocked and that is how it is going to stay. Is there a workaround?

IMAP is completely independent of receiving mail, you're mixing up the LDA and the MTA.

Postfix is your MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) and uses port 25 to transmit messages
Dovecot is your LDA (Local Delivery Agent) and through this service you can access your mailbox via IMAP

If your ISP blocks port 25, then you'll need to set up a relay server somewhere else, in a VPS perhaps with your MX record pointing to that server, and from there you relay all the messages to your current server, but changing the port to something else, eg. 26

I can't speak for ISP's where you live, but where I am most of them allow port 25 on DSL networks so if your previous provider did actually allow 25 then this explains all of your problems, but hopefully with the above you can work around the issue. Otherwise if you simply must have mail come direct to your main server, then you are just going to have to get your ISP to unblock 25 or change to another provider that will do that for you.

Again, I thank you for your time and assistance. Much appreciated.