Topic: SOGo send mail error

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.9
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?: installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MariaDB
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?: no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi guys,

So I started having a strange issue today after updating SOGo from the nightly build (current version on my system is 4.3.2.20200515-1). When trying to send mail from the webmail interface, the error below shows up in sogo.log. Same error if I try to send mail from mobile clients connected via ActiveSync:

==
2020-05-15 13:50:42.113 sogod[6016:6016] EXCEPTION: <NSException: 0x55c465184120> NAME:NSInvalidArgumentException REASON:NGSmtpClient(class) does not recognize clientWithURL: INFO:(null)
==

Google was not very helpful with this. Anyone here can give me a hint?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: SOGo send mail error

ionutb wrote:

Hi guys,

So I started having a strange issue today after updating SOGo from the nightly build (current version on my system is 4.3.2.20200515-1). When trying to send mail from the webmail interface, the error below shows up in sogo.log. Same error if I try to send mail from mobile clients connected via ActiveSync:

==
2020-05-15 13:50:42.113 sogod[6016:6016] EXCEPTION: <NSException: 0x55c465184120> NAME:NSInvalidArgumentException REASON:NGSmtpClient(class) does not recognize clientWithURL: INFO:(null)
==

Google was not very helpful with this. Anyone here can give me a hint?

I experienced exactly the same issue, also after updating the nightly build. It seems to be connected to https://github.com/inverse-inc/sogo/pull/274.

After trying various things I finally managed to get SOGo to send mail again by removing "SOGoMailingMechanism = smtp;" from /etc/sogo/sogo.conf. I can send mail again, and I haven't noticed any other side effects so far.

Hope that helps.

Looks like issue of the nightly build. sad

@cf: thank you so much. Fixed the problem for me as well. I’m honestly considering to pin sogo packages for the future, in order to avoid such blows smile

Ok, so now I have found a side-effect of removing "SOGoMailingMechanism=smtp;": outgoing mals are no longer DKIM signed. I suspect this is because they are now delivered differently and are somehow bypassing amavisd.

cf wrote:

Ok, so now I have found a side-effect of removing "SOGoMailingMechanism=smtp;": outgoing mals are no longer DKIM signed. I suspect this is because they are now delivered differently and are somehow bypassing amavisd.

In amavisd config file, make sure you have "enable_dkim_signing => 1," in policy bank 'MYNETS':

$policy_bank{'MYNETS'} = {
    originating => 1,  # is true in MYNETS by default, but let's make it explicit
    enable_dkim_signing => 1,
};

In Postfix /etc/postfix/master.cf, make sure transport `pickup` has content_filter parameter like this:

pickup ...
    -o content_filter=smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10026

Note: use port 10026, not 10024.

Thank you, Zhang. That fixes it for the pickup transport.

After some further digging I think I now also found the root underlying cause, which caused the error message when using the smtp transport in the first place: In my case at least it was a couple of libraries (SOPE) which are part of SOGo. It seems that something went wrong with the packaging and update process for the nightlies and these packages were installed a few days ago with version number "4.9.r1664.SHORTDATE" (instead of "4.9.r1664.20200514") and that seems to have broken things.

I resolved it now by manually installing these packages with the correct/most recent version number (it needs to be done manually, "apt update" did not show any avalaible updates). After that I could change sogo.conf back to the original and everything is working now.

Thanks for sharing. smile