1 (edited by maraven2001 2020-06-05 13:10:47)

Topic: iRedMail compatibility

Hi,

I have not yet installed iRedMail, I will be doing so this weekend.  My question is regarding compatibility with other apps.  I read that iRedMail requires a clean linux install, so, granted it is on a clean install, and once it is up and running, can I add other application to the machine ??  In particular, I want to have a VPN server and a Pi-Hole added.  Are these compatible with iRedMail, if added later on ??  BTW I do have them running on a Pi but really would like to have everything in one machine and not have tons of things hanging on my lan.

Thanks

Manuel

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: iRedMail compatibility

it's not impossible to run additional products/services on top of iRedMail, but it isn't recommended.
it can make troubleshooting and upgrades quite a bit more complicated.
generally better to have iRedMail, VPN and PiHole on separate VM's. (Some people also run VPN/PiHole on the same device, but I typically use VPN in my firewall)

maraven2001 wrote:

once it is up and running, can I add other application to the machine ?

Technically, Yes, of course. But as @MuPp3t33r mentioned, not recommended.

mail server already runs many softwares and network services, it's better to run mail server on a dedicate server.

4 (edited by maraven2001 2020-06-06 23:30:01)

Hi, thanks for the replies.

After reading and doing more investigating, I was thinking of running iRedMail in a container, and the other applications on the host OS (Ubuntu in my case).  Maybe that would make it easier to have everything on the same machine.  I have never used containers though, only VM, I assume they are similar in concept, just that you don't have to run another OS in the container, so it would be less demanding on machine resources (is this accurate??)

This is a home project and really don´t want to have two or three machines running simultaneously, nor RPis dongling off my machines.  I already have one machine as firewall/gateway and will try to configure it as VPN as well, that will be one less application running on the mail machine.  So far, it has been impossible to run Pi-Hole on it as it conflicts with a couple of services in my gateway.  Today it's dongling off of my server, so really want to eliminate it.  Ideally I would add one more machine for mail (iRedMail), and Pi-Hole.

So, would a container be a good solution ??

Thanks,

Manuel

Then better install iRedMail first and install your VPN and Pi-Hole after it. As a home server, it's ok.
If you're not familiar with Docker, using it will bring you some "trouble", you need to spend time to learn it and manage it.