1 (edited by ired_mania 2020-07-07 15:18:42)

Topic: Debian or centos

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
Hi
what is the best distro for installing iredmail?
second, graphical or text mode is suggested?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by thechusteralb 2020-07-10 12:39:20)

Re: Debian or centos

If you are just starting out I think Debian would be easier for you. Don't know what you mean by graphical or text mode, the installer comes with a simple gui. Just follow the instructions here https://docs.iredmail.org/install.iredm … buntu.html

I personally like more Debian system
although centos is also available and used, I use it on very responsible systems where a lot of security is needed.
but Debian is simpler, has a large community.

don't forget that debian 10 has a new firewall, but you can also set iptables

4 (edited by ired_mania 2020-07-12 19:39:00)

Hi
first of all, thanks a lot for your reply. second, I am not new to iredmail and have iredmail on centos7. I want to know what linux Ditro is recommended by iredmail?

thechusteralb wrote:

If you are just starting out I think Debian would be easier for you. Don't know what you mean by graphical or text mode, the installer comes with a simple gui. Just follow the instructions here https://docs.iredmail.org/install.iredm … buntu.html

- The linux distributions chosen by iRedMail users: Ubuntu >  Debian > CentOS > FreeBSD > OpenBSD.
- Ubuntu has a lot more users compared to Debian.

I personally recommend you to choose the one you're familiar with, since all of them are supported by iRedMail. But FreeBSD got less testing due to it took few hours for one test, others take just few minutes.