1 (edited by evenmoreconfused 2020-09-22 06:31:15)

Topic: Missing modules installing mlmmj

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.3.1
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Centos 8 minimal
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MariaDB
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? no
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
From https://docs.iredmail.org/integration.mlmmj.mysql.html :

On RHEL/CentOS, mlmmj is available in EPEL repo, and it's enabled in iRedMail by default. So we can install it directly:

yum install mlmmj uwsgi uwsgi-plugin-python2 uwsgi-logger-syslog python-requests

Results in:

Package mlmmj-1.3.0-7.el8.x86_64 is already installed.
No match for argument: uwsgi
No match for argument: uwsgi-plugin-python2
No match for argument: uwsgi-logger-syslog
No match for argument: python-requests
Error: Unable to find a match: uwsgi uwsgi-plugin-python2 uwsgi-logger-syslog python-requests

I've checked, and both epel and epel-modular are indeed installed.

Is this anything to do with the deprecation of Python2?

Thanks for all help,
Paul

NB: the above is attempt 2. Attempt 1 was similar, but mlmmj installed properly and the remaining four packages failed. Thus the second attempt shows mlmmj installed and the other four still failing.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by evenmoreconfused 2020-09-22 06:41:03)

Re: Missing modules installing mlmmj

From the RedHat developer's blog:

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018 … in-rhel-8/

(an article covering what bits of Python2 are going to break in RH/Centos 8)

... Even if you configure python, the commands yum install python-requests or pip won’t work. ...

Hmmmm......

So it seems this is a known issue: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1757157

Zhang , I see even you posted in that thread last October (second post down). The various contributors seem to be making a serious effort to make it work, but they keep discovering more and more obstacles. The bottom line is that it doesn't seem likely that uwsgi, python3, and centos8 are going to be working together in the near future.

Is there any way to install mlmmj without uwsgi? Or another mailing list manager that works with iRedMail?

- mlmmj is written in C programming language, it doesn't require Python.
- mlmmjadmin is a RESTful API server used to manage mlmmj settings, it's written in Python.

mlmmjadmin-2.x and older releases require Python 2, but the latest 3.x require Python 3. Our tutorial is out of date and should be updated with Python 3 support.

- As a temporary solution, you can simply replace those Python 2 packages by the one works for Python 3.
- You can install uwsgi with "pip3 install uwsgi".

I'm working on a updated version, stay tuned.
Will update here once finished, and please help test it and let me know if something is not accurate.

Updated, please help test it and let me know how it works:
https://docs.iredmail.org/#integration

7 (edited by evenmoreconfused 2020-10-09 02:35:36)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Updated, please help test it and let me know how it works:
https://docs.iredmail.org/#integration

Thanks very much for your reply. I will always be happy to help test wherever I can be of assistance.

However, in this case, true to my userid here, I've really just managed to confuse myself, and I now believe that I did not have this issue in the first place.

In a nutshell, I had understood from the installation instructions that mlmmj (not mlmmjadmin) needed to be installed separately if one wanted to use subscribable mailing lists*. I reverted my VM back to an earlier checkpoint and realized that mlmmj was in fact installed during the main install.

However, I ALSO realized that I don't really need subscribable mailing lists anyway, as what I'm trying to reproduce is the behaviour of Exchange's Distribution Lists, which can be subscribable, but in our case aren't. Thus I'm currently looking into Mail Alias Accounts to do this (see my other post re Alias vs Forwards).

Thanks for your help in any case,
Paul

*PS: this might not have been as foolish as it now seems, as there is a sequence of the instruction documents that, if followed carefully, does instruct one to install mlmmj manually. I will write up the sequence I followed in a follow-up post, as it would be good if this erroneous instruction script is corrected / clarified.

PPS: There is another thread on the board at the moment started by someone else who was having issues with Python 3. From the way you worded your response, I get the idea you might have been confusing my issue with his.

evenmoreconfused wrote:

However, I ALSO realized that I don't really need subscribable mailing lists anyway, as what I'm trying to reproduce is the behaviour of Exchange's Distribution Lists, which can be subscribable, but in our case aren't. Thus I'm currently looking into Mail Alias Accounts to do this (see my other post re Alias vs Forwards).

You can disable subscription for mlmmj mailing list.

9 (edited by evenmoreconfused 2020-10-10 02:03:12)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

You can disable subscription for mlmmj mailing list.

So is there a functional difference between creating an account that forwards to a number of existing users (e.g. sales@mycorp.com forwards to alice@mycorp.com, bob@mycorp.com, and carol@mycorp.com) vs using mlmmj with subscription disabled?

Is there a discussion of the pros and cons anywhere?

evenmoreconfused wrote:

Is there a discussion of the pros and cons anywhere?

No.

You can simply choose the one which matches your requirements.