Topic: Whitelisting hostnames for delivery.

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
1.3.1 PGSQL edition.
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
Downloadable
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
Ubuntu 20.10
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
PGSQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
Hi guys,

I need to be able to accept logwatch emails from made up host names (ie, there not in any dns anywhere) into a mail list I've created following the alias directions on here.

The problem is, they are being correctly rejected at the moment with

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[103.97.55.20]: 450 4.7.1 <bangofw.marketdispatch.com.au>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<pnunn@bangofw.marketdispatch.com> to=<logwatch@infoteq.com.au> proto=ESMTP helo=<bangofw.marketdispatch.com.au>

Any easy way around this?

Ta.. Peter

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Whitelisting hostnames for delivery.

Whitelist it in /etc/postfix/helo_access.pcre.

3 (edited by pnunn 2020-12-16 11:06:02)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Whitelist it in /etc/postfix/helo_access.pcre.

Thanks @ZhangHuangbin, I can see the file is rejecting a lot of good stuff that is should, but I'm not sure how I whitelist this one group of IP addresses (I assume its being rejected because of the IP address, not the not found domin?).

I tried putting

/^(103.169.254)/ OK

at the start of helo_access_pcre, but that didn't work, and I've realized that I need to send email from machines that are on private lans on the systems as well (10.10.2.2 etc).

Is there a way around this? Really going to cause me issues if not.  I can set up dns for the external (firewall) machines, but not easily for the internal ones.

Thanks.

Peter.

The rejection is based on HELO hostname, not IP. So you can whitelist it like this:

# Match the single one HELO hostname.
/^bangofw\.marketdispatch\.com\.au$/ OK

# Match any sub-domain ends with ".marketdispatch.com.au"
/\.marketdispatch\.com\.au$/ OK

# Match any sub-domain ends with ".com.au"
/\.com\.au$/ OK

Use the one you need.

Note: add your whitelist at the top of file.

Thank you again Zhang, I have added the second option but now get

Dec 22 18:07:48 mail3 postfix/smtpd[397587]: Anonymous TLS connection established from unknown[103.97.55.20]: TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (4096 bits)
Dec 22 18:07:49 mail3 postfix/smtpd[397587]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[103.97.55.20]: 554 5.7.1 <pnunn@infoteq.com.au>: Recipient address rejected: SMTP AUTH is required for users under this sender domain; from=<pnunn@marketdispatch.com.au> to=<pnunn@infoteq.com.au> proto=ESMTP helo=<bangofw.marketdispatch.com.au>

However, the bounce message from the sending mail server now does get through.. which is odd..

Reporting-MTA: dns; bangofw.marketdispatch.com.au
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 0F80C3EB
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; pnunn@marketdispatch.com.au
Arrival-Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:42:20 +1000 (AEST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; pnunn@infoteq.com.au
Original-Recipient: rfc822;pnunn@infoteq.com.au
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mail3.infoteq.com.au
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 <pnunn@infoteq.com.au>: Recipient address
    rejected: SMTP AUTH is required for users under this sender domain

but I need to be able to send email like this without having to auth to the server, that's crazy, all I'm trying to do is send email to pnunn@infoteq.com.au...

Not sure where to go  from here.