Topic: Migration from Microsoft Exchange 2013 to iRedMail

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 2021091301
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Easy
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 20.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No, but will.
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Greetings,
due to the Hafnium vulnerabilities, our existing Exchange Mail server was compromised, and we would like to move away from exchange if possible. I ran across iRedMail and spun up an Ubuntu VM, and go it working with a test domain. Everything appears to work, other than SoGo getting slow sometimes. I could not find any guide for migrating from Exchange to iRedMail. I know there is a paid migration, but we would like to try it ourselves for proof of concept before doing any paid migration, as we have no necessarily chosen iRedMail to be our new mail server.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Migration from Microsoft Exchange 2013 to iRedMail

rpkist77 wrote:

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 2021091301
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Easy
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 20.04
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No, but will.
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Greetings,
due to the Hafnium vulnerabilities, our existing Exchange Mail server was compromised, and we would like to move away from exchange if possible. I ran across iRedMail and spun up an Ubuntu VM, and go it working with a test domain. Everything appears to work, other than SoGo getting slow sometimes. I could not find any guide for migrating from Exchange to iRedMail. I know there is a paid migration, but we would like to try it ourselves for proof of concept before doing any paid migration, as we have no necessarily chosen iRedMail to be our new mail server.

Slow in what way ? communication between Outlook and Mail Server on Linux ? how many MX Servers do you have ? mx1.domain.com mx2.domain.com ? or just one Mail Server if so just call it mail.domain.com, to migrate everything from old Exchange i would export it from out of Outlook and other devices and just sync it to each devices then. How are you terminating this Mail Server ? through a Reverse Proxy something like HaProxy ? need more information on the deployment.

Re: Migration from Microsoft Exchange 2013 to iRedMail

One gotcha i've found with exporting and exchange 2013 in general is move any user created folders from inside the users inbox to outside it.

For some reason, the subfolders get exported and maybe the mail headers but not the actual mails in all cases and it took me forever to diagnose this problem.

I for one would be interested in how you get on with this as i have to do the same thing in the not to distant future.

Cheers