Topic: What should be the PTR and FQDN - mail.domain.com or domain.com?

I've just installed the latest version of iredmail (1.6.1) to ubuntu22/nginx.
This server also runs the basic obzor.lt website. I need several emails like postmaster@obzor.lt.

Currently PTR record is obzor.lt - is it correct?
FQDN is mail.obzor.lt - is it correct, or it should be obzor.lt?

I'm confused by this installation step (screen attached). It was the reason why the hostname was set to mail.obzor.lt - I wanted to specify obzor.lt as the first email domain name.

> host obzor.lt returns
obzor.lt has address 157.90.0.217
obzor.lt mail is handled by 1 mail.obzor.lt.

I receive all the mail to postmaster@obzor.lt successfully (at least it works through this email and a couple of other emails on gmail).

I want to send and receive emails for postmaster@obzor.lt from my main gmail account. For that I was able to add "send email as" with mail.obzor.lt 587 in gmail settings. But when I try to send email as postmaster@obzor.lt, it simply does not work.

Also I can not set up "check email from other accounts" with pop3 - what should be pop3 server, is it mail.obzor.lt?

The last quesion - when mail send is failed, I get a return-delivery message from root@mail.obzor.lt - should not it be root@obzor.lt?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: What should be the PTR and FQDN - mail.domain.com or domain.com?

If you use "@obzor.lt" as your email domain name, then server hostname (FQDN) should be anything (like "mail.obzor.lt") but not "obzor.lt".

PTR is the FQDN for your public internet IP address, which usually is same as server hostname.