Topic: Error logging Fail2Ban into MySQL

Hope this is the right forum as this is where the link sent me after reading how to get Fail2Ban to log to a MySQL database.

Have followed all the instructions from here : docs.iredmail.org/fail2ban.sql.html#troubleshooting

Running all the commands manually on a Command Line from the TEST section works perfectly.

So for example if I run: fail2ban-client set dovecot banip 1.1.1.1 it does insert the row into MySQL
And if I run mysql fail2ban -e "UPDATE banned SET remove=1 WHERE ip='1.1.1.1'" it marks the row as needing to be unbanned by pacing the 1 in the remove field.
Lastly if I run /usr/local/bin/fail2ban_banned_db unban_db it removes the row.

So pretty confident there is no issue with permissions or config files.

However, for some reason the action = settings in my jails aren't putting anything into MySQL, and I am getting the following errors in the logfile

2023-05-06 16:21:36,544 fail2ban.utils          [160029]: ERROR   7fbf16735a80 -- stderr: "ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
 corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'root'@'155.94.140.144' (using password: NO) 2023-05-06 7:15:55 37021 [Warning...' at line 8"
2023-05-06 16:21:36,544 fail2ban.utils          [160029]: ERROR   7fbf16735a80 -- returned 1

Here is my jail settings for mysqld-auth

[mysqld-auth]
enabled  = true
port     = 3306
filter   = mysqld-auth
action   = sendmail-whois-lines[name=RC, logpath="%(logpath)s"]
               banned_db[name=mysqld-auth, port="3306", protocol=tcp]
logpath  = /var/log/mysql/mysql-bin.err
maxretry = 3
bantime  = 3600

Server is running Ubuntu 22.04, Apache 2.4.52, PHP 8.1.2, MariaDB 10.6.12

Hoping it's just something really simple I have missed. Just can't understand when I run the commands manually they do everything they are supposed to do. But the action automations don't work.

Really appreciate some guidance and to be pointed in the right direction.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Error logging Fail2Ban into MySQL

Seems script /usr/local/bin/fail2ban_banned_db failed to handle the mysql error log lines.
Try to replace first line "#!/usr/bin/env bash" by "#!/usr/bin/env bash -xv", then trigger the error again. Let's see what it logs.

But iRedMail uses Nginx on Ubuntu 22.04, why you have Apache?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

But iRedMail uses Nginx on Ubuntu 22.04, why you have Apache?

Cheers for reply. I have decided to install another solution which has been a bit more successful. Seems the issue is the new versions of MariaDB just don't like some syntax. Appears to be happening a bit more with older scripts not just this one.