Topic: Is Spider able to do a delete / bulk export?

Evaluating Spider EMail archive: once the mails are imported via spider-import from an existing IMAP server postbox, is there a chance to delete them from the archive again? Obviously one wouldn't want to archive every spam mail that made it through the spam filter...

And given that spider will reach its end-of-life and is needed to be replaced by some other software, is there a chance to do some kind of bulk export of the whole archive? I do not mean the export of single mails but the export of the whole archive, maybe as a mbox or some other common format?

Greetings
Harvey

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Is Spider able to do a delete / bulk export?

Harvey wrote:

is there a chance to delete them from the archive again?

Not from the web UI.

The initial plan is making a read-only copy of received mail messages, and disallow to remove archived ones.

Maybe support some kind of filter to discard messages you don't want to archive?

Btw removing archived message by removing file (with "rm" command) on disk and database is possible.

Harvey wrote:

is there a chance to do some kind of bulk export of the whole archive?

Spider supports exporting emails match the search pattern on web UI so far, but no command line tool to export all (or those match the search pattern) YET, we will offer such CLI tool soon in future release.

You can list all features you want this CLI tool to support now, so that they could be implemented in first release. smile

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

The initial plan is making a read-only copy of received mail messages, and disallow to remove archived ones.

Maybe support some kind of filter to discard messages you don't want to archive?

Yes, that is the idea of a spam filter wink And we all know it is not always successful wink At last a human has to decide what is spam and what is not. Only a thought: maybe implenent some kind of 'Inbox' from where the user can decide -only once- what to keep and what to delete? Or at least a chance for a 'spam' or 'deleted' tag and keep the message? hmm

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Btw removing archived message by removing file (with "rm" command) on disk and database is possible.

Yes, that's what I already thought about. Had a quick look at the sqlite-db containing the needed information but it does not seem to be trivial to find the reference to a certain mail file on disk (and maybe its attachment) and delete it... hmm
Looks like I have to dig the participants.db for the mail address and with the huid find the message file in messges.db? I couldn't find a mail subject in the db, neither a date - the date column is always 0 - or is it coded via 'last_seen'?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
Harvey wrote:

is there a chance to do some kind of bulk export of the whole archive?

Spider supports exporting emails match the search pattern on web UI so far, but no command line tool to export all (or those match the search pattern) YET, we will offer such CLI tool soon in future release.

You can list all features you want this CLI tool to support now, so that they could be implemented in first release. smile

I appreciate that smile At least the export to a quite common format should be the aim (maybe thunderbird's - its open source). Don't know if that is feasible, only a thought. Maybe also mbox format or the export to another IMAP server (hey, that would be cool wink).
There should be an export filter for mails by date, by author (mail address) maybe. But I would not put too much effort in a CLI tool. Most options should be possible via the UI. I see this only as a savior in case of EOL of the software (either by decision of the user or the programmers). It has to be possible to get my data back out of the archive if I want to.

Greetings
Harvey

Harvey wrote:

At least the export to a quite common format should be the aim (maybe thunderbird's - its open source). Don't know if that is feasible, only a thought. Maybe also mbox format or the export to another IMAP server (hey, that would be cool wink).

- Restoring to an IMAP server is actually implemented on web UI, but it's not working as what you asked for so far -- it's used to restore a message to user's mailbox, via IMAP. smile
- We prefer to export each message to one file, not mbox.

Exporting on command line is now on my TODO list, but not set a due date yet. Will reply here if it's implemented. smile