Topic: Enabling 2FA is a Mess!

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
After enabling 2FA for the admin user by logging-in as admin then selecting Preferences > 2FA the accounts table in the /opt/spider/db/settings.db shows:

username  otp_enabled  otp_secret
------------  ---------------  ----------------------
admin       1                   vqYS1t3qnO9Uxir0
auditor     0

While remaining logged-in as admin I attempted to enable 2FA for the auditor user by selecting Accounts > auditor > 2FA.

At the top-left of the settings screen Builtin Auditor(auditor) is displayed and 2FA is disabled so I assumed I was updating the auditor user, but after enabling 2FA the accounts table in the /opt/spider/db/settings.db shows:

username  otp_enabled  otp_secret
------------  ---------------  ------------------------
admin       1                   c2TKSuZH8dYK2vod
auditor     0

So no changes have been made to the intended auditor user, BUT the OTP secret for the admin user has been updated!!!!. Consequently I was unable to login as the admin user as the OTP was incorrect and there was no way to disable 2FA.

I ultimately enabled 2FA for the auditor user by logging-in as auditor and selecting Preferences > 2FA.

Incidentally, I was able to disable the auditor user while logged-in as admin and selecting Accounts > auditor > Settings > Enable account, so it's targeting the auditor user in this instance so why not for 2FA?

Regards, Steve.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Enabling 2FA is a Mess!

Investigating this issue. Thanks for the report. smile

Hi Steve,

This issue has been fixed today and will be available shortly (We will release new version this week).

BTW, this upcoming version supports Amazon S3 compatible storage, custom branding, end user authentication against ActiveSync service (and IMAP).

In next release after it, we will add per-user and per-domain archiving report.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

This issue has been fixed today and will be available shortly (We will release new version this week).

Great. That was a quick turn-a-round.