1 (edited by Rashef 2009-09-16 23:54:36)

Topic: How to track (supposed) delivered mail...

Hi, I don't know if this could be directly related to iredmail itself...

In the last few days many users are opening tickets because it seems they don't receive mail from specific senders. I asked for sender addresses and looked for them into maillog. And I noticed something very strange.

This is what happens for every mail that the user claim to be unreceived: the message seems to be delivered since the last entry reports "status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)", but this entry is exactly two hours later from the first entry from policyd.

An example:

Sep 16 09:25:51 mail postfix/smtpd[32563]: 4281798003F6: client=mail.domain.it[127.0.0.1]
Sep 16 11:25:51 mail postfix/pipe[32566]: 4281798003F6: to=<user@domain.it>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.03, delays=0.01/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)
Sep 16 11:25:51 mail postfix/qmgr[24049]: 4281798003F6: removed

Do you think that two hours to come out from graylist is a normal time? Can it depends on sender SMTP server?

But over all: where are these messages? There is no trace of them into the user mailbox... :-S

What to check?

Thanks in advance!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: How to track (supposed) delivered mail...

Rashef wrote:

but this entry is exactly two hours later from the first entry from policyd.
Do you think that two hours to come out from graylist is a normal time? Can it depends on sender SMTP server?

Which distribution do you use?

If you use RHEL/CentOS, there's a bug in syslog, and the timestamp in log file maybe incorrect. Reference:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=193184

Maybe we should forget the timestamp in log files, just check whether mails were delivered correctly.

But over all: where are these messages? There is no trace of them into the user mailbox... :-S

What to check?

Check /var/log/sieve.log.
Mails sent to virtual users are all delivered by 'deliver' program which shipped within dovecot.