Topic: Dovecot LMTP with a remot MTA

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

I am implementing SMTP server running postfix and IMAP server running Dovecot each on different machine. I need to use LMTP on dovecot to connect to an SMTP server. My config are:

main.cf
virtual_transport = lmtp:inet:xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:xx
smtpd_sasl_path = inet:xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:xxxx

dovecot.conf
service lmtp {   
  inet_listener lmtp {
    address = xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
    port = xxx
    #process_min_avail = 12
    #executable = lmtp -L
  }
  unix_listener lmtp {
    #group = _postfix
    mode = 0600
    #user = _postfix
  }
}

but mails are delivered and am getting the following warning on MTA:
Dec  4 16:28:28 gms01 postfix/qmgr[19175]: warning: connect to transport private/dovecot: Connection refused
Dec  4 16:28:28 gms01 postfix/qmgr[19175]: warning: connect to transport private/dovecot: Connection refused
Dec  4 16:28:28 gms01 postfix/error[17945]: 016CD130875: to=<mm@test.com>, relay=none, delay=8964, delays=8964/0.13/0/0.02, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (mail transport unavailable)

Any Idea on setting up?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Dovecot LMTP with a remot MTA

Reference: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixDovecotLMTP

*) You should update Postfix parameter "virtual_transport" and "mailbox_transport".
*) Update transport for your mail domains (and mail users who have per-user transport) to use Dovecot lmtp.

Can you give me a link that uses inet instead of unix socket?  Postfix runs on a separate machine with dovecot. Do I need to modify master.cf as well? If yes where should I modify?

#Server1 postfix
#main.cf

virtual_transport = lmtp:inet:ip:port
mailbox_transport = lmtp:inet:ip:port
smtpd_sasl_path = inet:ip:port

#server2 dovecot
#dovecot.conf

service lmtp {   
  inet_listener lmtp {
    address = xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
    port = xxx
    #process_min_avail = 12
    #executable = lmtp -L
  }
  unix_listener lmtp {
    #group = _postfix
    mode = 0600
    #user = _postfix
  }
}

I will appreciate for a step by step guide.
Thanks

I have the same problem when trying to use "inet" instead of "unix socket".
postfix postfix/qmgr[6060]: warning: connect to transport private/dovecot: Connection refused

I want to run dovecot and postfix on different hosts, too. Could you please give me some advises with more detail?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Reference: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixDovecotLMTP

*) You should update Postfix parameter "virtual_transport" and "mailbox_transport".
*) Update transport for your mail domains (and mail users who have per-user transport) to use Dovecot lmtp.

Hi djbahati1,

iRedMail doesn't use Dovecot LMTP right now, so i suggest you test it with a testing machine. I'm afraid that i cannot always provide a step-by-step guide. Sorry about this.