Topic: iRedMail user Login suddenly stopped after Dovecot configuration chnge

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 6.5
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Hi,

I have been using iRedmail for one of my projects. Things were working fine in the testing environment. Then we needed to configure the emails for our domain in to Android based Mobile devices for testing the second part of our solution. We used k9 mail client for this. While configuring the IMAP settings in the email client we were not able to authenticate. We have tried many combinations i.e. SSL/TLS, STARTTLS, Encrypted password/ Plain password, port 143 port 993 with ssl and without ssl. Nothing worked Every time we got following error :

"Trust Anchor not found for Android SSL Connection"

While googling for this, we figured out few ways to do so. This was happening due the SSL Self signed certificates. Android was not allowing the certificates to accept the Non-Trusted certificate/key. Moreover server was not allowed to login using plain passwords. Then i have found a link on official wiki to disable the forced SSL check :

http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … t.STARTTLS

I have followed the instructions written in this document. But server was not allowing to login. Now the error message changed to "Authentication Failure". After this error i tried logging in to Webmail/Roundcube and the "Login Failed" message started occurring. All of my accounts have stopped working. I thought this could be due to the reason of change of dovecot configuration. So i have changed the settings back to the original. But still the Login Failure/Authentication Failure error occurs. I was not able to login to any form of email clients. I thought due to change in the dovecot configuration the password storing mechanism could have changed. I have even tried changing the passwords from MySQL back-end but still the same error. I am clue less why this error is happening.  Suddenly everything stops working. While debugging the log i found following entry:

May 02 15:08:09 auth: Debug: passwd-file(<user-name>,148.*.*.*,<v2zpiWf4vABwxAgC>): lookup: user=<user-name>
file=/etc/dovecot/dovecot-master-users-password
May 02 15:08:09 auth: Info: passwd-file(<user-name>,148.*.*.*,<v2zpiWf4vABwxAgC>): unknown user
May 02 15:08:11 auth: Debug: client passdb out: FAIL    1       user=<user-name>
May 02 15:08:11 imap-login: Info: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 6 secs): user=<user-name>, method=PLAIN, rip=148.*.*.*, lip=148.*.*.*, TLS, session=<v2zpiWf4vABwxAgC>

I hope someone here can help me.

Regards,

Gavin

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: iRedMail user Login suddenly stopped after Dovecot configuration chnge

Hi Gavin,

Could you please post full log of one authentication attempt in /var/log/dovecot.log? it's better to enable 'mail_debug = yes' in Dovecot config file before trying to authenticate.

Also, please show us output of command "dovecot -n" to help troubleshoot.

If this is urgent and critical, you have another choice to get it solved quickly: buy a support ticket for remote support. http://www.iredmail.org/support.html