1 (edited by djurovic.dejan 2014-11-23 23:02:37)

Topic: Problem while receving emails from gmail, yahoo etc.

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

iRedMail 0-8-7
MySQL
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

For now its all working fine, i can send to local domain messages to user and i can send to diferent domains yahoo, gmail etc.

While recevieng mail i can only receive mails from local domain but when i send mails from yahoo, gmail and so on the mails dont arrive.

What should i do in order to make it work ?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Problem while receving emails from gmail, yahoo etc.

Make sure you have correct A and MX records in DNS. Reference:
http://www.iredmail.org/docs/setup.dns.html

Did that solve your issue djurovic.dejan? ZhangHuangbin, I am having the same issue, and I have the correct A and MX records in my DNS.

Open up a live syslog (tail -f /var/log/syslog) and send an email to yourself from Gmail/Yahoo/whatev. What do you see?

Thanks for your response hdco. I've waited a few minutes, and nothing has changed since I had that syslog opened and then sent the email.

6 (edited by hdco 2014-11-26 08:42:20)

If the email isn't touching the server at all, that narrows it down quite a bit. It's either invalid MX (did you leave time for propagation?) or possibly a hardware firewall. Can you telnet port 25?

7 (edited by Craytor 2014-11-26 08:45:57)

hdco, thanks for the response. The server is responding (I think) on port 25 (the domain is mail.team-radiant.com). I sat this up about 3 hours ago, but I didn't think domain propagation would take this long.

Also, when I done that, this happened in the sys log:
Nov 25 19:43:56 mail postfix/smtpd[3181]: connect from www.t1shopper.com[208.64.252.230]
Nov 25 19:43:56 mail postfix/smtpd[3181]: lost connection after CONNECT from www.t1shopper.com[208.64.252.230]
Nov 25 19:43:56 mail postfix/smtpd[3181]: disconnect from www.t1shopper.com[208.64.252.230]

I'm assuming your emails are @team-radiant.com. The MX record goes to dc-2615ffa7.team-radiant.com (162.243.51.246) but your iRedMail is on 104.236.52.208. Am I missing something?

9 (edited by Craytor 2014-11-26 09:26:25)

hdco, that's something that I am trying to figure out as well... I have no clue what the 'dc-2615ffa7' thing is, and the only thing I can think of is cloudflare. I wonder if I can remove the 'dc-2615ffa7' thing so it is mail?

Actually, the 162.243.51.246 is my A record, and therefore it is a different server. Wait, should I have this mx record be handled by mail.team-radiant.com and not team-radiant.com?

Post's attachments

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG 8.7 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-11-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Aha! I got that working. Now the syslog is updating, and I am getting this error:

Nov 25 20:30:48 mail postfix/smtpd[3483]: connect from mail-la0-f45.google.com[209.85.215.45]
Nov 25 20:30:49 mail cbpolicyd[2628]: module=Greylisting, action=defer, host=209.85.215.45, helo=mail-la0-f45.google.com, from=tyleryouschak@gmail.com, to=admin@team-radiant.com, reason=greylisted
Nov 25 20:30:49 mail postfix/smtpd[3483]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail-la0-f45.google.com[209.85.215.45]: 451 4.7.1 <admin@team-radiant.com>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisting in effect, please come back later; from=<tyleryouschak@gmail.com> to=<admin@team-radiant.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail-la0-f45.google.com>
Nov 25 20:30:49 mail postfix/smtpd[3483]: disconnect from mail-la0-f45.google.com[209.85.215.45]

11 (edited by hdco 2014-11-26 09:41:08)

You have it backwards smile

team-radiant.com needs the MX record, because when you send an email to johndoe@team-radiant.com, SMTP needs to know where to send it. mail.team-radiant.com doesn't need any MX records because you don't have @mail.team-radiant.com addresses. Same with SPF, but I suggest using this instead:

v=spf1 a mx -all

It means email is allowed to be sent from your MX server and your A server, and nowhere else. With the one you have, emails sent from your A host (for example, a password reset email) won't deliver. "mx" and "mx:team-radiant.com" are redundant.

Edit: Now you're greylisted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting
It's a way of fighting spam by pretending the server doesn't exist the first time, because legitimate servers will retry after a certain period (usually 15-60 minutes, sometimes longer). After a server passes the test, it won't be greylisted again. You can turn it off http://www.iredmail.org/wiki/index.php? … reylisting

I have it off because nothing has gotten past spamassassin so far.

12 (edited by Craytor 2014-11-26 09:48:11)

Okay, I edited this. But is this correct for the mx team-radiant record, because mail needs to be handled by the mail.team-radiant.com domain because that is an a record tied to the ip address of the mail server and not my web server?

EDIT: That file doesn't exist. I had to look at this, http://www.iredmail.org/forum/topic3162 … spam.html. Do I have to restart a service for it to turn off?

Post's attachments

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG 85.54 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

13 (edited by hdco 2014-11-26 09:51:19)

Looks good. Last thing I would suggest doing is buying an SSL certificate ($10/yr at name.com) to get rid of the SSL warnings. (Or if it's only you getting an email address and you can live with them, maybe no need to)

Do you mean when checking the email with roundcube or accessing redmail online?

15 (edited by hdco 2014-11-26 09:54:28)

Restart policyd.

Edit: Without a paid cert, you'll get the warning in Roundcube, iRedAdmin, and during IMAP and SMTP transactions. Some clients like Outlook can be configured to accept the self-signed certificate though.

16 (edited by Craytor 2014-11-26 10:00:05)

Nah! I will buy one! Also, I do plan on having more than one domain in the future for email. Do I have to get a new cert for every one? Or just the mail.team-radiant.com domain since it is the main domain mail travels through?

Edit: I also noticed that it takes up to an hour that first time, and then emails from that domain after that are instant!

Yeah, definitely buy one. What's $10 but never underestimate the cheapness of some people.

For your edit, yeah, that's greylisting.

You need one certificate per access point. If you will check every domain by logging into https://mail.team-radiant.com, you just need the one. If you want to be able to check domain2.com at https://mail.domain2.com, you'll need another plus another IP (can't have certificates share an IP). Same story for IMAP/SMTP hostnames in email clients.

Okay, I do want to thank you for all of your help as it was greatly appreciated. Also, would I be allowed to change my server's hostname, etc to something besides mail - or should I leave it mail?

Also, if other domains are using my email server, couldn't they just use the mail.team-radiant.com to log in with (if I change it, it will be the other, but just saying).

You can change it, but once you activate a certificate you can't change it without buying another certificate.

Yes, you can tell all your users to log in to mail.team-radiant.com.

20 (edited by Craytor 2014-11-26 10:49:32)

Okay, I have a way of naming my servers, would you name it something other than "mail"? Or would you just keep it "mail"?

Mine is mail and mail is standard.

Thanks @hdco for the patient and detailed answers. you rock. smile