Topic: Sender address rejected: not logged in

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.8.7
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  LDAP
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04.3
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
Feb  2 13:51:28 mail postfix/smtpd[14674]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from x[xx.xx.xx.xx]: 553 5.7.1 <x@x.com>: Sender address rejected: not logged in; from=<x@x.com> to=<x@x.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<x>

====

Hi Zhang, i have an application server that is using our local provider SMTP. I was suspicious when I stopped receiving emails from the app server.

I checked the logs of iredmail and found out that my iredmail is blocking my providers SMTP. Maybe thats mainly the reason why I stopped receiving emails from it.

Thanks for the help!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Sender address rejected: not logged in

freeda.suing wrote:

Sender address rejected: not logged in

With default iRedMail setting, mail users must configure their mail client applications to perform SMTP auth before sending email. If no SMTP auth, Postfix will reject email with the same error message as yours.

You're using the sender email address to send email from your ISP to your iRedMail server, ISP mail server doesn't know your email credential and it won't perform smtp auth on your server, that's why it happened.

Possible solutions:

1) Use different email address to send email from your ISP. Mail domain of your sender email address must be not hosted on your iRedMail server.
2) Allow emails from your ISP directly: Append IP address of your ISP mail server in Postfix (iRedMail) parameter 'mynetworks =', in config file /etc/postfix/main.cf. Warning: if this ISP mail server send spams to your server, your server will accept them.

Yup, this is exactly what I did. I added the the addresses in mynetworks. It is working, although, do you have any suggestions so I can monitor spam sending?

Thanks for the reply Zhang.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
freeda.suing wrote:

Sender address rejected: not logged in

With default iRedMail setting, mail users must configure their mail client applications to perform SMTP auth before sending email. If no SMTP auth, Postfix will reject email with the same error message as yours.

You're using the sender email address to send email from your ISP to your iRedMail server, ISP mail server doesn't know your email credential and it won't perform smtp auth on your server, that's why it happened.

Possible solutions:

1) Use different email address to send email from your ISP. Mail domain of your sender email address must be not hosted on your iRedMail server.
2) Allow emails from your ISP directly: Append IP address of your ISP mail server in Postfix (iRedMail) parameter 'mynetworks =', in config file /etc/postfix/main.cf. Warning: if this ISP mail server send spams to your server, your server will accept them.

freeda.suing wrote:

do you have any suggestions so I can monitor spam sending?

Spam sending is not clear, not sure what you really want.

Currently, the weakest part of a mail server is weak (mail user) password. If user password was cracked, spammer can use it to send spams. So, first of all, please force your users to use a strong password and take care of the username/password.