1 (edited by schnappi 2015-02-26 12:28:34)

Topic: Why use port 143 instead of 993 by default?

Why does iRedMail use port 143 instead of 993? Was under the impression 143 was usually for non-secured IMAP while 993 was for secured IMAP.

Secondly does deleting a user from the iRedAdmin also delete corresponding files for that user? Would normally just test a question like but since already had another question that could not test...

Finally decided to use nginx on the production server after running a test server the last few days (only since iRedMail has made the decision to discontinue apache in the future). Not very sharp with MySQL so end up using alot of phpmyadmin. Anyone know a good phpmyadmin alternative for nginx that installs as easily as phpmyadmin? Could just configure phpmyadmin manually but would prefer not to if there is a good alternative.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Why use port 143 instead of 993 by default?

schnappi wrote:

Why does iRedMail use port 143 instead of 993? Was under the impression 143 was usually for non-secured IMAP while 993 was for secured IMAP.

From what I understand, the recommendation and default by the iRedMail developers is to use IMAP with STARTTLS, "which offers a way to upgrade a plain text connection to an encrypted (TLS or SSL) connection instead of using a separate port for encrypted communication" (if we trust the Wikipedia article, and I do in this case since I am aware that it is correct). Therefore, the default IMAP port 143 is used instead of the default IMAPS port 993.

I know it's not for nginx but MySQL Workbench is by far the best there is, also it works over secure ssh tunnels

Oh and no, deleting a user in iRedMail will retain their E-Mails, in the /var/vmail/vmail1/ directory.