Topic: Upgrade 0.5.0 -> 0.5.1

All,

I've looked at the upgrade instructions here, but I am still unsure of how to perform the upgrade procedure.

I can figure out how to apply all of the scripts and schema changes listed in the article linked above, but what else needs to be done? For example:

- Where do I put the contents of the iRedMail-0.5.1 tarball? (I tried untarring it into a temporary directory and running the included iRedMail.sh script, but that script wants to install a new system, not upgrade an existing one.)

- Should I upgrade any of the packages? If so, what's the best procedure for doing that?

- Are there any other steps I should take?

Thanks!

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Upgrade 0.5.0 -> 0.5.1

essdz wrote:

- Where do I put the contents of the iRedMail-0.5.1 tarball? (I tried untarring it into a temporary directory and running the included iRedMail.sh script, but that script wants to install a new system, not upgrade an existing one.)

iRedMail.sh won't upgrade your existing installation, you have to apply all items listed in upgrade tutorial to upgrade it MANUALLY.

- Should I upgrade any of the packages? If so, what's the best procedure for doing that?

If you use Red Hat/CentOS, 'yum update' will update all packages for you. If Debian/Ubuntu, use 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade'.

- Are there any other steps I should take?

All upgrading steps are listed in the tutorial.

Questions/feedback/suggestions are always welcome smile

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
essdz wrote:

If you use Red Hat/CentOS, 'yum update' will update all packages for you. If Debian/Ubuntu, use 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade'.

I think it would be helpful to include the above in the tutorial page, since it was not entirely obvious!

But...I'm still having trouble. I'm on Debian 5.0 and I did the usual apt-get steps you listed above, but I'm not seeing any new packages. For example, Dovecot 1.1.13 is still installed, even though I see that iRedMail 0.5.1 ships with 1.1.16.

Am I missing a repository somewhere?

I did some digging and I see that my /etc/apt/sources.list contains the following line, which was apparently automatically added by the 0.5.0 install:

deb file:///usr/local/src/iRedMail-0.5.0/pkgs pkgs/   # iRedMail_Local

Should I manually change this to point to my newly-downloaded 0.5.1 tarball? If so, it would be great if that could be added to the upgrade instructions too, by suggesting that users need to download the newer iRedMail release package, untar it, run the pkgs/get_all.sh script, adjust your APT sources, run apt-get, and so on!

If this is the correct procedure, I would appreciate it if someone could confirm it. If it's incorrect, I'd like to know that too. smile

(Thanks for all of your work in making iRedMail happen!)

essdz wrote:

I think it would be helpful to include the above in the tutorial page, since it was not entirely obvious!

Added moment ago. Thanks very much smile

To update Dovecot on Debian, you can just download the newer version here: http://iredmail.org/apt/debian/lenny/

Since we don't have a Debian server/VPS to provide apt repository, you have to download newer version and upgrade them via 'dpkg' manually.