Topic: Send emails directly from domain

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version: 0.9.0
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginz
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04.5
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: N/A
====

I don't have an actual issue, however I do have something I would really like to do.
Using the email address example name@domain.com I can send mail from that email address and receive mail towards it - but only mail sent from another account within the server. What does work, however, is name@mail.domain.com. I set up iRedMail using mail.domain.com except for when it asked for my first virtual domain name, to which I put domain.com. I can send emails from outside of the mail server when I use mail.domain.com, however when I try to send an email to name@domain.com I get an error message the Hotmail postmaster account. In setup I wasn't allowed to use domain.com for all fields, as the virtual domain name had to be different, otherwise I would have done so and just hosted my website on the same server.

Can someone enlighten me on either what I am misconceiving or what I need to do to achieve what I want? As a summarising example, I want to be able to send and receive mail whilst having the email address name@hotmail.com, not name@mail.hotmail.com.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Send emails directly from domain

Your server FQDN should be servername.domainname.com
That's what you give to the installer as well as set as your hostname -f
then your first domain should be without the servername part
domainname.com
Then you can receive and send from domainname.com as you want

3 (edited by BrandiJFlatt 2015-04-17 04:51:47)

Re: Send emails directly from domain

Strange, for me it only works from servername.domainname.com. When I try to send to name@domainname.com I get this from postmaster: 'Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.'

EDIT: Thanks for your help on IRC, I'll post back if it doesn't work, though it makes sense that it should.