Topic: Upgrade to apache24 on FreeBSD

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
======== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.2
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p14
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- Related log if you're reporting an issue:
====

Is there a migration path to apache24 on FreeBSD? FreeBSD changed its default Apache to apache24 in July 2014, and apache22 is no longer well-supported for security issues.

I tried installing apache24 from ports and copying over files from the /usr/local/etc/apache22/Include directory. I know some work is necessary on config files and access control statements (see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/upgrading.html, which I have used successfully on other servers).

However, iRedMail also uses uses libapache2-mod-auth-mysql, which is not supported in apache24. This post about Ubuntu/Debian suggests an alternative, but I did not proceed for fear of breaking something in iRedMail:

http://blog.froese.org/2014/06/13/authn … tu-trusty/

Thanks in advance for advice on keeping this server current.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

2 (edited by GerryM 2015-07-23 09:14:46)

Re: Upgrade to apache24 on FreeBSD

I had this problem with Apache 2.2 vs 2.4 last year when I was testing iRedMail-0.8.7 with FreeBSD 10.  There was either a PHP or Python dependency that caused me too much grief.  I found it was easier to do a fresh reinstall.  The latest scripts install work great.

Thanks. This is a production email server.

How safe is it to do a fresh reinstall, and would that now use apache24? Of course I would back up the MySQL databases and Mailman directories, but I'm concerned about what else reinstalling in place might break.

Without libapache2-mod-auth-mysql, authentication against MySQL for web application don't work anymore, it impacts Awstats and Cluebringer webui. If you don't need to login to them, you can disable this Apache module and switch to authentication with .htaccess file.

Any plans to support Apache 2.4 (or whatever is the current version)? Thanks!

iRedMail-0.9.2 uses Apache 2.4:
https://bitbucket.org/zhb/iredmail/src/ … ebsd.sh-40

Excellent, thanks!

I'm currently running 0.9.2, upgrading only the config files. If I backup and later restore the databases, can I safely do a full install of 0.9.2 to get the current Apache version? Thanks again.

If you just need Apache-2.4, why not upgrade it with ports? this should be easier than backup/restore iRedMail server.

I did try upgrading to apache24 from ports, but 'apachectl configtest' fails because the new version does not support libapache2-mod-auth-mysql (see first post in this thread).

Since 0.9.2 now includes apache24, it safe to do a full reinstall and then restore the databases? Thanks, ZhangHuangbin!

As mentioned above, you should disable module libapache2-mod-auth-mysql in Apache config file.

OK, thanks, I will. So just to be clear, you are saying it is safe to upgrade to apache24 if I disable that module?

cvcvelo wrote:

So just to be clear, you are saying it is safe to upgrade to apache24 if I disable that module?

Yes.