Topic: Connection Timed Out to some domain

==== Required information ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.8.7
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64-bit
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- Related log if you're reporting an issue: connect to nestle-com.mail.protection.outlook.com[213.199.154.87]:25: Connection timed out)
====

Is it possible to setup an smtp relay so that if my server can not send the email, my smtp relay host can send it instead if it fails.

Thanks,
freeda

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Connection Timed Out to some domain

Also, I am wondering why my email server is communicating via port 25. Shoudn't it be communicating via port 587?

connect to maila13.webcontrolcenter.com[216.119.106.129]:25: Connection timed out
connect to mail.wwwexpress.com.ph[222.127.136.20]:25: Connection timed out
connect to relay.globeidc.com.ph[202.95.238.123]:25: Connection timed out

Thanks,
Freeda

*) Port 587 is used between your mail user/client and your server.
*) Port 25 is used between your server and others' servers.

About 'connection timed out', you should check whether or not it's an issue of destination server. for example, it's offline, or it's not resolvable in DNS, or it refused to talk to your server, etc.

Hi Zhang, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know there server is the one blocking me but Im not sure why and I am experiencing several of those. Can i input my ISP smtp in the relay host? would that help? If emails cant pass through using my internal mail server, will they be routed to the relay host. Im not sure if that is how it works.
Thanks,

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

*) Port 587 is used between your mail user/client and your server.
*) Port 25 is used between your server and others' servers.

About 'connection timed out', you should check whether or not it's an issue of destination server. for example, it's offline, or it's not resolvable in DNS, or it refused to talk to your server, etc.

Or is it possible (recommended) to change the server to server port to 587 by default.

Thanks alot!

You can try to use ISP smtp server as relay (with Postfix setting 'relayhost =').

If I do this, all my emails are going to be relayed to my isp smtp? or only those emails that fail?
I don't want to use the ISP relay for 100% of my email. Only those that fail.

Is that possible with postfix?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

You can try to use ISP smtp server as relay (with Postfix setting 'relayhost =').

freeda.suing wrote:

If I do this, all my emails are going to be relayed to my isp smtp? or only those emails that fail?

With 'relayhost=', ALL mails will be relayed to your ISP.

freeda.suing wrote:

You can try 'smtp_fallback_relay' instead of 'relayhost=':
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html# … back_relay

Unfortunately, our isp can only send as much emails per day.

I am not sure qhy Gmail is timing out now But can send to yahoo.
Sep 14 11:18:17 mail postfix/smtp[22355]: connect to alt1.aspmx.l.google.com[173.194.72.27]:25: Connection timed out
Sep 14 11:18:23 mail postfix/smtp[22314]: connect to aspmx2.googlemail.com[64.233.169.27]:25: Connection timed out
Sep 14 11:18:23 mail postfix/smtp[22312]: connect to aspmx4.googlemail.com[74.125.207.27]:25: Connection timed out
Sep 14 11:18:23 mail postfix/smtp[22313]: connect to aspmx2.googlemail.com[64.233.169.27]:25: Connection timed out
Sep 14 11:18:23 mail postfix/smtp[22315]: connect to aspmx2.googlemail.com[64.233.169.27]:25: Connection timed out

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
freeda.suing wrote:

With 'relayhost=', ALL mails will be relayed to your ISP.

freeda.suing wrote:

You can try 'smtp_fallback_relay' instead of 'relayhost=':
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html# … back_relay

freeda.suing wrote:

Sep 14 11:18:17 mail postfix/smtp[22355]: connect to alt1.aspmx.l.google.com[173.194.72.27]:25: Connection timed out

Check your network settings, and make sure your network devices (like firewalls, routers) not block access to gmail (especially port 25).

Found out that emails are getting through but with this error

(delivery temporarily suspended: connect to aspmx5.googlemail.com[173.194.204.26]:25: Connection timed out)

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
freeda.suing wrote:

Check your network settings, and make sure your network devices (like firewalls, routers) not block access to gmail (especially port 25).

I've been reading some stuff.

My /etc/hostname reads mail
My /etc/mailname reads mail.(companydomain).com

Will this have any problem? Altough, its been like this ever since I initialized the server and had no problems. Just now.

Again, Check your network settings, and make sure your network devices (like firewalls, routers) not block access to gmail (especially port 25).