Topic: Whitelisting not working

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.8
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 7.5
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL/MariaDB
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?: Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

In my logs I have the following lines:

Jun 13 10:29:41 nc036 postfix/smtpd[1338]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from xxx.yyy.cctld[1.2.3.4]: 450 4.7.1 <server.yyy.cctld>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<sender@yyy.cctld> to=<recipient@example.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<server.yyy.cctld>

I have communicated with the admin of the server at yyy.cctld, and they refuse to set up their DNS properly. Unfortunately, they are a legitimate sender; in fact, they are the national tax authority of a country!

I have tried adding each of the following to the "Whitelisted senders" (for inbound mails) at System -> Anti Spam -> Whitelists & Blacklists, but their mails are still blocked:

* @.yyy.cctld
* @yyy.cctld
* 1.2.3.4 (the IP address of their server)

I also tried restarting both Postfix and iRedAPD, but this didn't change the result.

How can I let them bypass the HELO check without letting everyone else bypass it too?

Thanks.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Whitelisting not working

I hate to whine (again), but I really need this iRedAdmin-Pro support issue addressed.

craig wrote:

Helo command rejected: Host not found

This is rejected due to invalid HELO hostname, you can whitelist it in file /etc/postfix/helo_access.pcre.

4 (edited by craig 2018-06-15 23:03:38)

Thanks. Yes, I understood why it was being rejected, as I explained. Whitelisting it in helo_access.pcre seems to have worked.

But, for future reference, can you explain when something should be whitelisted in helo_access.pcre and when it should be whitelisted inside iRedAdmin-Pro?

For the record, I added the domain given in the sending server's HELO near the top of helo_access.pcre as follows:

/^(server\.yyy\.cctld)$/ OK

craig wrote:

But, for future reference, can you explain when something should be whitelisted in helo_access.pcre and when it should be whitelisted inside iRedAdmin-Pro?

helo_access.pcre is against HELO hostname sent by sender server during SMTP session.

iRedAdmin-Pro has few types of whitelists, mostly they're used during smtp session (by iRedAPD) and content based spam scanning (by Amavisd).

OK, thanks for clearing that up. Might be worth adding a note about that to the blue information box on the right at /system/wblist in iRedAdmin-Pro.