Topic: Bounce messages from our SMTP servers are being quarantined

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.9
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS Linux 7.5.1804
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): LDAP
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes, iRedAdmin-Pro 3.3
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi Support,

We are using a setup where outgoing mails from iredmail will be relayed to multiple SMTP servers hosted on our for mail transmission.

We are facing an issue where bounce message generated from those SMTP servers are being quarantined with a score of 100.0 in iredmail.
Is there any way we can whitelist those SMTP servers?

Based on AMAVISD conf, we see this:-
$bounce_killer_score = 100;  # spam score points to add for joe-jobbed bounces

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Jovi Tan

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Bounce messages from our SMTP servers are being quarantined

Check the header of quarantined emails (with iRedAdmin-Pro: System -> Quarantined Mails), there's a header clearly indicates which SpamAssassin rules it matches, please paste them here for troubleshooting.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Check the header of quarantined emails (with iRedAdmin-Pro: System -> Quarantined Mails), there's a header clearly indicates which SpamAssassin rules it matches, please paste them here for troubleshooting.

Hi ZhangHuangBin,

Are you referring to this?

X-Spam-Flag    YES
X-Spam-Score    100
X-Spam-Level    ****************************************************************
X-Spam-Status    Yes, score=100 tag=-100 tag2=7 kill=7 tests=[AM.BOUNCE=100] autolearn=unavailable

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Jovi

Try to set "$bounce_killer_score = 0;" (this is default setting in recent iRedMail releases) in /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf, restart Amavisd service, then try again.

Hi ZhangHuangBin,

Thank you for the advise.
However, we would like to verify the impact of this before making any changes.

Does setting "$bounce_killer_score = 0;" mean that any server can send us email if they have an empty "From" field?

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Jovi Tan

Hi ZhangHuanBin,

Would like to check it there is any updates on this.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jovi Tan

jovi.tan wrote:

Does setting "$bounce_killer_score = 0;" mean that any server can send us email if they have an empty "From" field?

I'm sorry that i can not find more details about this parameter in Amavisd program source code (/usr/sbin/amavisd-new on Ubuntu OS) and Google. sad
Though i still suggest giving it a try.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
jovi.tan wrote:

I'm sorry that i can not find more details about this parameter in Amavisd program source code (/usr/sbin/amavisd-new on Ubuntu OS) and Google. sad
Though i still suggest giving it a try.

Hi ZhangHuanBin,

Noted on this. Will test and let you know if it works.

Just to share some info, I found this in AMaViS forums (https://sourceforge.net/p/amavis/mailma … /19072023/) saying that bounce killer score is added to emails in which message ID of incoming message does not match message ID of outgoing message of the apparent sender. In other words, if bounce mail does not originate from the mail server itself, bounce killer score will be added to it.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Jovi Tan