Topic: Throttle quota exceeded - goes to wrong address

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.9 Mysql
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):  Mysql
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? Yes
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

Hi,
I have been testing throttling for outbound mails before going live with the feature. On my test account, I can set a limit of 2 mails per minute and when I exceed that limit, the recipient address I was sending to gets a message with subject "Throttle quota exceeded". But, I think the intention here is that the SENDING address, the one with the sending limit, should instead receive this message.

Also, the message is a bit terse. It should be more verbose and say something like:

Dear user,

You have exceeded your quota for sent mail for this time period and no further mail submission can be processed from your account at this time.

Detail information below:

Thanks for iredmail.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Throttle quota exceeded - goes to wrong address

I hate replying to my own message, but I have realized after some more investigation that the 'throttle quota exceeded' messages are directed at the local postmaster, which just happened to be my recipient for these tests. How stupid of me.

I would like instead to re-phrase this as a feature request: Would it be possible to have the system email the user who has exceeded their throttling quota with an informative message of some (system-administrator) chosen kind? My use case would be for alerting users who hit their limit, taking the wonder out of it and possibly saving a support call, and also possibly suggesting they convert to a system supported mailing list as opposed to their own list of names they send to.

Thanks

Re: Throttle quota exceeded - goes to wrong address

yourtownonline wrote:

I would like instead to re-phrase this as a feature request: Would it be possible to have the system email the user who has exceeded their throttling quota with an informative message of some (system-administrator) chosen kind? My use case would be for alerting users who hit their limit, taking the wonder out of it and possibly saving a support call, and also possibly suggesting they convert to a system supported mailing list as opposed to their own list of names they send to.

You can customize the rejection message a little bit by updating file /opt/iredapd/libs/__init__.py:

SMTP_ACTIONS = {
    'reject_quota_exceeded': 'REJECT Quota exceeded',
}

Just a remind: Don't write too much info in the rejection message, for example, "you sent 100 messages in 1 hour which is not allowed".

If a spammer cracks the account password (this happened many times and it's quite normal if user uses a weak password), he will easily exceed the max limit and figures out the limit by reading the rejection message, then he can control the spamming software to not reach the limit in next round and just wait for next period.