Topic: quota calculation for shared folders

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.0
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? dl
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: deb10
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): my
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

hi,

quota calculation is wrong when saving message to shared folder:
if user quota < shared mailbox' used space, the message cannot be saved (no free space).

that was the case with my old iredmail server as well, the workaround was to set the same quotas for all the mailboxes.
now I need something better smile

thanks
adam

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: quota calculation for shared folders

There's no separated quota for a shared mailbox. so i'm afraid this is how it works.

Hi,

I remember a few years ago there was a discussion about this somewhere, but it seems that google doesn't like me, I cannot find it anymore.

It was about a bug in dovecot 1.x which caused this.
I thought it was fixed in later versions but I ran into it again with my new iredmail server.

To reproduce it is very easy, set rc to place replies in the same folder, set the mailbox quota below of the USED quota of the shared mailbox, and rc will deny to save the reply, local copy lost (although the message will be sent).

udi111 wrote:

To reproduce it is very easy, set rc to place replies in the same folder, set the mailbox quota below of the USED quota of the shared mailbox, and rc will deny to save the reply, local copy lost (although the message will be sent).

I don't get why you do this.

The shared mail folder is part of the user's mailbox, if you set the mailbox quota to a lower value than currently used quota, why do you expect Dovecot ignore the shared mail folder?

If you really want to ignore some mail folder globally, you can update parameter "quota_rule<X> =" in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf (search "ignore" in this file and you will find sample settings).

I try to be more clear:

mailbox1
quota: 100MB
used: <100MB (any; but there is free space)

mailbox2
quota: 200MB
used: >100MB (more than quota of mailbox1; but there is free space)

mailbox2 has a folder which is shared to mailbox1.

I can drag and drop messages to the shared folder, no problem.

now I try to place a reply to the shared folder:
"An error occurred while saving sent message. Unable to perform operation. No free disk space."
which is wrong, because calculation is done with quota of mailbox1 and used quota of mailbox2.
both values should come from mailbox2.

there is no problem if the used quota of mailbox2 goes below 100MB in the above example.

udi111 wrote:

now I try to place a reply to the shared folder:

- How did you "place a reply to the shared folder"? Did you drag a message in "Sent" folder to the shared folder?
- Please turn on debug mode in Dovecot and reproduce the issue again, we need detailed debug log for troubleshooting, although it sounds like a bug of Dovecot.

"Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to" is checked in rc.

I attached dovecot and rc log files.
user1 has 10MB quota, user2 has 20MB quota and 63% full.
rc error message when replying: "Unable to perform operation. No free disk space."
However, drag&drop still works.

I found some reports about this issue, but no fix:
https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2 … 95287.html
https://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2018-F … 10967.html
https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2 … 96475.html

Post's attachments

dovecot.log 13.17 kb, 2 downloads since 2020-01-12 

mail.log 85.06 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

hmm, it does look like a bug of Dovecot as mentioned in my previous rely.
I'm afraid that i cannot help much here and you have to contact Dovecot team to report this bug and ask them to fix it. sad