Topic: Own domain mail account and ISP mail account

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.2.1
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? No
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I would like to configure iRedMail for a mail account of my own domain (let's call it 'me@mydomain.com') and for a mail account (POP3) provided by my ISP (let's call it 'me@isp.com').

I would be grateful for feedback if the following approach would be correct:

- in iredadmin, I should add 2 domains: the one I own (mydomain.com) and the one from my ISP (isp.com) and configure the user accounts in the respective domains.

- for the mail account of my own domain, I should make the necessary DNS configurations (A, MX, SPF, DKIM, DMARC).

- for the mail account provided by my ISP: for retrieving, I should install fetchmail or getmail and configure accordingly; for sending, I should configure sender dependent relay host (Setup relayhost)

Is that about right?

Re: Own domain mail account and ISP mail account

Only one mistake in first step. You should NOT create isp.com.
Otherwise all emails you sent TO <someone>@isp.com will go to your own server, not the real ISP mail server.

----

Does my reply help a little? How about buying me a cup of coffee ($5) as an encouragement?

buy me a cup of coffee

3 (edited by AGI 2020-07-01 05:48:18)

Many thanks for your reply, good thing I asked :-o

So, under my own domain, should I then only create one user (myfirstname.mylastname@mydomain.com)?

How does iRedMail keep the mails from my 2 accounts (myfirstname.mylastname@mydomain.com and myfirstname.mylastname@isp.com) apart ?

Or should I create under mydomain.com a second user with an arbitrary name, let's say ispmail@mydomain.com and then configure getmail and a sender dependent relay host for that user?

The steps in your first post is ok except the issue i pointed in my first reply.

----

Does my reply help a little? How about buying me a cup of coffee ($5) as an encouragement?

buy me a cup of coffee

I understood the part of not creating an isp.com domain.

As I am new to all of this, I just wanted to confirm that I have to create in mydomain.com 2 users:

1) e.g. myfirstname.mylastname@mydomain.com as a mail account for my own domain

2) e.g. ispmail@mydomain.com in order to have a separate mailbox for my ISP mail account. My ISP only provides POP3 mail accounts (with a limited mailbox size) and I would like to have access to my ISP mail account from any device => my interest of having these messages in my own IMAP server. I also don't want to have these messages mixed up with messages in my new myfirstname.mylastname@mydomain.com mail account.