Topic: Out of Memory - Killed Process Issues

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.1 Mariadb edition
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Downloadable installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MYSQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

It seems that every 3 to 4 days, Ubuntu starts killing off processes due to out of memory. Eventually it will kill off mysqld and Sogod processes eventually killing iredmail.

Hoping to really source the cause of this issue as I have been running iredmail for sometime now and am experiencing this memory issue every 3 to 4 days which a simple restart fixes temporarily.

At one point I simply setup a cron restart every night.

I have disabled clamav and netdata services.

Simply setup, running 3 active mailboxes for personal use. No heavy load of emails inbound/outbound. Lucky if there are 20 emails a day collectively.

I am running on an AWS EC2 instance t2.small which has 2GB RAM. CPU is never an issue.

On reboot, the memory usage hovers around 40% usage. Htop shows man /usr/sbin/mysqld entries taking up 5.6% to 7.5% each.

Would really like a sure way to troubleshoot and actively identify what is causing this. Is it a bug in the build?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG 28.62 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG 34.13 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Out of Memory - Killed Process Issues

Could you help figure out which application uses the most memory and eventually cause the out-of-memory issue?

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

Could you help figure out which application uses the most memory and eventually cause the out-of-memory issue?

You could use top to display all the processes running and how much RAM they're using.

Post's attachments

5-7.png
5-7.png 73.75 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

KyleBrown wrote:
ZhangHuangbin wrote:

You could use top to display all the processes running and how much RAM they're using.

I was using htop in my original post.

iRedmail has been working for 6 days straight at the moment with no killing of processors.

Here is the current top sorted by mem.

Im not sure if some processors should be releasing mem usage.

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG 209.92 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Crashed again last night.

I am leaning more towards SoGod being the culprit.

Are there any sure ways to identify why the memory usage is not released? My undestanding is that 1GB is required for low use iRedmail use. With 2GB I should be fine especially as I am only running three mailboxes.

Thanks

Post's attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG 115.72 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

- You didn't read our installation tutorial, 4GB is required for low traffic production mail server.
- Also, upgrade SOGo to the latest (v5) nightly build, it fixes an issue which causes un-released file descriptor and eventually caused "too many files open" error.

Thanks Zhang.

I note the tutorial states 2GB minimum:

At least 2 GB memory is required for a low traffic production mail server, but 4 GB is strongly recommended to prevent ClamAV eating too much memory for big virus signature database.

I have ClamAV disabled.

I'll look at upgrading SOgo as recommended and monitor how it handles memory.