Topic: problem installing on "fresh" ubuntu 20.04

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====
I try to install iRedMail 1.3.2 from your tarball on a "fresh" Ubuntu 20.04 machine at Server4you. The installation fails because there exists a resident mysql installation that the mariadb installation does not seem to overrule. Thus I get "access denied for root@localhost".
Shall I get rid of all mysql, postfix, dovecot and other relevant stuff installed by default on this machine before starting the iRedMail installation ? Can you provide a script to accomplish this in a proper way ?
Greetings,
Robert Herzog

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: problem installing on "fresh" ubuntu 20.04

herzog.albert wrote:

Shall I get rid of all mysql, postfix, dovecot and other relevant stuff installed by default on this machine before starting the iRedMail installation ?

Yes. iRedMail requires a fresh / clean OS.

ZhangHuangbin wrote:
herzog.albert wrote:

Shall I get rid of all mysql, postfix, dovecot and other relevant stuff installed by default on this machine before starting the iRedMail installation ?

Yes. iRedMail requires a fresh / clean OS.

This is not a simple task in my case, as the "minimal" ubuntu 20.04 installation is in fact a "lamp" version with Apache, Postfix, Mysql and other "basic" stuff already in place. Thus I come back to my preceding question. "Can someone provide a script to get rid of all the undesirable software". Shall I go step by step with "apt purge xyz".
Thanks for your reply.

Maybe run "apt-get remove --purge ..." for this purpose.

herzog: did Zhang's suggestion work out for you?  I have another project and was considering using iRedmail on Ubuntu for that one.
Thanks!

Personally, and honestly, I would run any e-mail server on it's own dedicated server, be it physical or virtual.  Just so much easier to keep the process isolated from potential conflicts.  I, too, ran into the same issue as you initially so I just fired up a new VM, installed and BAM!  Works perfectly with no issues!