Topic: killed my DNS entries - can't remember what they should be .... help?

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

I'm getting rejected by Hotmail, etc. and figured it was a bad dns entry.  Unfortunately, I killed several.

My server is mail.myserver.com

I didn't change my dkim, dmarc, spf, etc.

I changed/deleted the TXT and A records.

to get web access back, what A record, TXT record etc. do I need to add back?  right now I'm dead in the water - which is really bad.

Andrew

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: killed my DNS entries - can't remember what they should be .... help?

What’s the error message you got? Cannot help by guess. sad

Your A record will be the IP address of your mail server. (check with your server hosting provider or ISP if you are unsure the value)
TXT records will be for items like SPF, DKIM, DMARC, etc

My error is that I can’t go to web email/check mail in Outlook.

Is the A record for mail.myserver.com or just mail?

This sucks on a Friday - thanks for the help getting back up.

Andrew

5 (edited by MuPp3t33r 2021-03-26 21:42:32)

AndyInNYC wrote:

Is the A record for mail.myserver.com

Yes that's right, your A record will be xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for mail.myserver.com. If you login to your hosting provider's site and check your VPS configuration you should be able to find your IP address there. If you are hosting from on-premises, then your IP will be as provided by your ISP. If you do a Google search for "what is my IP" then you should find that there (only if you self host, otherwise check at your hosting provider).
Also make sure your PTR (Reverse DNS) record is the same for your A record.
eg. if A record mail.myserver.com goes to 1.2.3.4, then your PTR record 1.2.3.4 must go to mail.myserver.com

More detailed instructions: https://docs.iredmail.org/setup.dns.html

Thanks for the help.  I'm up and running.  But I still have a question or two (but no longer in panic mode).

On my mail server, I have an MX record of mail.myserver.com
I have an A record of mail with the IP of the machine

All works fine.

I use andrew@myserver.com (works fine)
I have (for example) 2 other domains and emails andrew@my1server.com and andrew@my2server.com that are hosted from the myserver.com machine

On my1server.com, I have an MX record of mail.myserver.com
I have a redirect of email -> https://myserver.com/SOGo

NameCheap.com told me to put another record of 'mail' and point to the IP of myserver.com

My LetsEncrypt certificate includes myserver.com, mail.myserver.com, mail.my1server.com, my1server.com (etc.)

When I type in my browser
mail.my1server.com I get to Roundcube on myserver.com, but it tells me the connection is not secure (ie the certificate isn't working the way I think/NameCheap informed me).

Two choices in my mind:

1.  Delect the A Record 'mail' on my1server.com and set it to be a redirect to https://myserver.com/mail
2.  Fix 'something' to make the certificate work (no idea how/what)

Microsoft/Hotmail is blocking my emails to their system for some reason; if I use solution #1, is this 'bad' in any way and therefore give them some reason to continue to block me (ie mail. is somehow a required A Record - or something).

If #1 is 'bad', how do I fix #2.  If #1 is fine and won't give Hotmail something to point at, I'm fine with that, although I don't understand why the certificate doesn't work as expected (by me).

I appreciate the help and I hope my question(s) are clear enough for an intelligent answer.

Andrew