Topic: iRedMail 1.5.1 on Debian 10?

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 1.5.1 MARIADB edition
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? Downloadable installer
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: Debian 10.8
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL
- Web server (Apache or Nginx): Nginx
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue: See below
====

I've tried installing iRedMail 1.5.1 on a new VPS running Debian 10.8.  I'm aware that the supported Debian version is 11 but my VPS supplier doesn't yet provide Debian 11.  I expected one or two issues...

The installation worked except:

Can't open /etc/php/7.4/fpm/php-fpm.conf: No such file or directory.

repeated 8 times
and:

Can't open /etc/php/7.4/fpm/php.ini: No such file or directory.

repeated 11 times.

The problem is that Debian 10 contains PHP 7.3 and the installer expected PHP 7.4.

I'd appreciate advice.  Is iRedMail 1.5.1 likley to work on Debian 10 if I start again with a fresh VPS and manually install PHP 7.4 before running the iRedMail installer?

Or is it best to wait until my VPS supplier offers Debian 11?

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: iRedMail 1.5.1 on Debian 10?

PS: Or I could start with a fresh Debian 10 VPS and upgrade it to Debian 11 (edit /etc/apt/sources.list, apt update, apt upgrade, apt full-upgrade) before installing iRedMail.

That seems to me a better solution, unless anyone suggests otherwise.

why dont you install debian11 manually then?

4 (edited by kempston 2022-01-15 06:03:00)

Cthulhu wrote:

why dont you install debian11 manually then?

I can't.  This is a VPS on Amazon Lightsail where there's a limited choice of distributions and Debian 11 isn't one of the options.  There's no facility to install an arbitrary distribution.  Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is available and supported by iRedMail 1.5.1, so I could use that but I prefer Debian because I'm most familiar with it.

For the information of anyone who may find this thread in the future...

If you want  to install the latest iRedMail on Debian 10 (which isn't supported by iRedMail) and are unable to do a fresh install of Debian 11 (which is supported), I'm happy to report that doing an in-situ upgrade from 10 to 11 before installing iRedMail works perfectly.

The procedure to upgrade is as follows:

1.  Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
    Replace each instance of "buster" with "bullseye"
    Find both debian-security lines and replace "buster/updates" with "bullseye-security"

2.  Do:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt --purge autoremove

3.  Reboot.

The system is then running Debian 11 and iRedMail can be installed as usual.