Topic: AllAboutSpam check - BATV format

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release):
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer?
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version:
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL):
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro?
- [IMPORTANT] Related original log or error message is required if you're experiencing an issue.
====

.0.9.7 / MySQL / Apache / Ubuntu 16.04

Reading about people's issues getting their email into Google/Microsoft/etc inboxes, I checked my server with Allaboutspam.  I got the following piece  of information back, but I don't know what to make of it:

Email server is not using BATV format while sending out emails. BATV is recommended to ensure that your users do not become a victim of bounce floods.

Is this something to look at / fix?

Andrew

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: AllAboutSpam check - BATV format

I don't know what's "BATV" sad

ZhangHuangbin wrote:

I don't know what's "BATV" sad

BATV (Bounce Address Tag Validation) Check

BATV is a mechanism wherein an outgoing Email server adds a tag to the Envelope From address of all outgoing Emails. For example, if an Email address goes out with From address as <info@allaboutspam.com>, the Envelope From is changed to <prvs=SBDGAUJ=info@allaboutspam.com>, where 'SBDGAUJ' is the added tag. This tag is generated using an internal mechanism and is different for each email sent.

If any bounce is received by the Incoming email servers, they are checked to see if the Bounce address has the proper tag (in above case 'SBDGAUJ'). If not, the email is rejected.

BATV ensures that your Email users do not become a victim of bounce floods.

iRedMail doesn't have BATV yet.

BATV sounds like SRS but BATV preserved the mail domain name:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme

Also like backscatter:
http://www.postfix.org/BACKSCATTER_README.html