Topic: Migration old 0.9.5 to new server with 1.2

==== REQUIRED BASIC INFO OF YOUR IREDMAIL SERVER ====
- iRedMail version (check /etc/iredmail-release): 0.9.5
- Deployed with iRedMail Easy or the downloadable installer? By hand I think
- Linux/BSD distribution name and version: CentOS 7.6
- Store mail accounts in which backend (LDAP/MySQL/PGSQL): MySQL (MariaDB)
- Web server (Apache or Nginx):  Apache
- Manage mail accounts with iRedAdmin-Pro? No
- [IMPORTANT] no logs to report
====

I want to transfer a running, single domain iRedmail 0.9.5 server to a new server with iRedmail 1.2 installed. I read the https://docs.iredmail.org/migrate.to.ne … erver.html document but I have questions.

1. Am I locked into continuing with MariaDB?
2. Can I migrate into a server with a different backend like PostgreSQL or LDAP?
3. Am I stuck with Apache? Can the new server be nginx based and still be an acceptable migration destination?

Thanks,

Jeff

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team. Supports Amazon S3 compatible storage and custom branding.

Re: Migration old 0.9.5 to new server with 1.2

1. No you are not locked to MariaDB, but it is simpler to remain in the same backend.
2. It's possible but not simple. I recall a while back seeing a post where someone had a bunch of scripts to convert backends, but I can't find it now. If you don't have a lot of user's set up then it's probably trivial to just set them up again in new backend and migrate the mailbox data.
3. Apache and Nginx simply serve the web pages, there's no problem with switching these. Note: Apache official support for iRedMail has been dropped in favor of Nginx, so you won't be able to use Apache in new server.

Unless there's some particular reason you need to switch to LDAP/PGSQL then you'll likely find it easier to stay on MariaDB. Remember to go through all (iterative) upgrade paths so that your databases have all the requisite tables/columns before you import it into the new server

Re: Migration old 0.9.5 to new server with 1.2

MuPp3t33r wrote:

1. No you are not locked to MariaDB, but it is simpler to remain in the same backend.
2. It's possible but not simple. I recall a while back seeing a post where someone had a bunch of scripts to convert backends, but I can't find it now. If you don't have a lot of user's set up then it's probably trivial to just set them up again in new backend and migrate the mailbox data.
3. Apache and Nginx simply serve the web pages, there's no problem with switching these. Note: Apache official support for iRedMail has been dropped in favor of Nginx, so you won't be able to use Apache in new server.

Unless there's some particular reason you need to switch to LDAP/PGSQL then you'll likely find it easier to stay on MariaDB. Remember to go through all (iterative) upgrade paths so that your databases have all the requisite tables/columns before you import it into the new server

Thanks for talking me off the ledge.