Re: Why are you interested in iRedMail?

Hiya,

I'm a Journalist and looking for privacy and journalist protection, thus I want my own mail server. Also, I'm interested because of all of the options you mentioned in 1-8.

Also, I'm hoping to be able to make this end-to-end encrypted, is there any solution for this, please? How to store all the contacts, emails, and attachments, and titles of emails in encrypted form on the server. Thus if the server gets hacked, nothing will be accessible to the hacker. I want the highest possible encryption implementation and my threat model is making this three-letter agency proof, please?

Tnx and best of luck

----

Spider Email Archiver: On-Premises, lightweight email archiving software developed by iRedMail team.

102 (edited by montanelli 2021-03-23 21:59:28)

IMHO, can't be done, fully, on a server level from 3 letter folks.

Use in-client encryption.

Still, if your workstation or your recipient's workstation gets compromised, its out.

Use signal, for confidential periods reduce disappearing messages to 5 or 10 seconds after making sure your phone backups and syncs are OFF.

And type in pig latin. hahahaha. jk on the pig latin.

blonde wrote:

Hiya,

I'm a Journalist and looking for privacy and journalist protection, thus I want my own mail server. Also, I'm interested because of all of the options you mentioned in 1-8.

Also, I'm hoping to be able to make this end-to-end encrypted, is there any solution for this, please? How to store all the contacts, emails, and attachments, and titles of emails in encrypted form on the server. Thus if the server gets hacked, nothing will be accessible to the hacker. I want the highest possible encryption implementation and my threat model is making this three-letter agency proof, please?

Tnx and best of luck

looking for an open source email server (or maybe even paid for a reasonable price) that supports SAML or oauth authentication and a sane (read: super easy) installation & upgrade process.

preferably a fully featured solution (all components included).

Hello brother.

First, it's easy to deploy. I wouldn't think of learning how to configure manually all the pieces.

And of course, it's open source!

It's free, it's easy to deploy, however, you may run into troubles if you dig deeper. There is much under the hood.

Jochy wrote:

It's free, it's easy to deploy, however, you may run into troubles if you dig deeper. There is much under the hood.

What "troubles" are we talking about here?

I use IredMail for personal and private email maintenance. And the pro version for solutions of SME, school etc... I find Iredmail particularly stable and especially in Open Source. The only integration problem is with an ldap server. But otherwise in cases it works without any problem especially with Sogo which allows to have a solution of type exchange.

I am using iRedMail for private email hosting. used Google G-Suite at first, but that will go away in its current form in couple of months.
Although I do think it is fair of Google to ask money for certain services (that involve keeping compute/storage resources running) the new pricing structure just was not viable for my use.
So evaluated some OpenSource options and iRedMail looked to tick all the boxes.

Initial setup really easy, and loads of good documentation out there including some folks who when through the trouble of creating really decent "setup instruction videos". (Thanks Tony Teaches Tech)

The only thing is I cannot seem to find some good "best practices" documents / information when it comes down to improving anti-spam, anti-virus and blocking of extensions and security in general. (I think that is also what Jochy might be talking about)

But will start asking these questions in the Forum (if not asked before), so hopefully will get is a bit better secured.

Thanks! for the great software!!

As for me, I got interested in it as a mail server for a relatively small company that doesn't want to use cloud services. Hoping this will finally work for me (after I resolve my post-installation problems). Thank you for your hard work on this project.